21 Tips For Creating Your Free Job Seeker Profile
As a job seeker putting together your Vimage Builder profile, there are a few tips you should keep in mind. When you create your free profile at www.vimagebuilder.com
- Make sure it is completely filled out. The employer of your dreams may be looking it over at any time, so make sure it represents you well.
- Double and triple check it for spelling and grammatical errors. Errors indicate a lack of attention to detail.
- Fill in all past jobs, prior experience, skills, and education. Account for any time lapse between jobs.
- Have someone review your profile to double check for anything you missed.
- Do not publish your profile until it is just the way you want it. The moment you publish it, it is visible to potential employers, and you do not want an unfinished profile made public.
- Upload your resume to the profile you just created.
Recording your video
- Record a video. Your job may hinge on this video, make sure it represents you well!
- The video does not need to be recorded professionally; however you want the video to make you look candid and professional.
- Record the video in a location with no distractions. A blank wall is an ideal background, framing you as the focus without clutter to distract the employer. We do not recommend recording the video in a messy bedroom or kitchen.
- Make sure the recording area is well lit so the employer can see your face. Smile!
- Record a full body video.
- Look directly into the camera. Don’t look down and around while recording, this shows a lack of confidence.
- Check if your recording area is conducive for sound. Close windows against traffic noises and ask for privacy or silence from anyone who may be nearby.
- Dress for the job you’re applying to, whether that’s a law firm or a tow truck driving position. This is, in essence, an interview, so act like it.
- Make sure you speak clearly.
- Script what you want to say, but don’t read off script. Use bullet points and adlib in between if you’re a natural. If you’re not a natural, spend some time memorizing your script and practice until it comes naturally.
- Describe your professional skills and experience. Answer the question, “Why should I hire you?” because that is what the employer who is watching your video is wondering.
- Practice your script as many times as it takes to get it right, including practicing in front of the camera. Record it as many times as it takes to get it right, too. You want the best take, even if it takes extra time.
- Do. Not. Rush. Creating a profile and video that do not represent you well will sabotage your efforts to impress the perfect employer.
- Have someone else watch your final video to see if it gives the impression you want it to give.
- Apply for jobs
Now that you have a video, upload it and begin applying to jobs. Let the employer know in your email that you have created a video commercial for them to watch. This tells the employer that you think outside of the box and will attract their attention. Be sure to include the link to your commercial in the body of your email so the employer can click on it. They will then be directed to your commercial so they can watch it.
Congratulations. You now have a leg up on the dozens of other applicants that have sent in only resumes and increased your chances of being hired for your dream job.